Trail clearing is one of Viking’s most important volunteer efforts. Whether your forte is wielding a chain saw or brush cutter or snipping branches and moving brush off the trail, your help is valuable.
Here are some key things to keep in mind:
• Viking has power and hand tools, but it’s great if you can bring your own.
• Wear gloves, appropriate clothes (it can be wet and you can get muddy) and good footwear (running shoes are generally not the best).
• Bring water and lunch (we usually eat on the trail).
• We meet at the clubhouse at 9:30 (the coffee is usually on by then) for a 10 o'clock start. Many workers often relax for refreshments at the end of the day.
• All ages can participate, even children and especially teens and older preteens. Some of our young members have helped with trail clearing as part of their school's volunteer requirement.
• Trail clearing will take place most Saturdays and (and some Thursdays) until the work is completed, usually by early November. Watch for updates on the website, as well as by e-mail.
• If you plan to attend on a particular day, please advise Doug Bowes-Lyon at firstname.lastname@example.org.